I first became involved with SeeThrough Studios before it existed. I was originally asked by Paul to help with game writing for Particulars (which will have an alpha release available soon! Finally! We mean it this time!) but then life and mostly a thesis got in the way.
I rejoined SeeThrough at the beginning of this year to work as a game writer and somehow* wound up as Social Media and Marketing Coordinator**. While I have worked in marketing and client-side relations before, I had never actually marketed a video game, and just to add more pressure into the mix, the Unstoppabot launch was less than two weeks away!
So check below the cut for a 17 step process on how not to market a game during your first two weeks in a job.
Disclaimer: My marketing was not as poorly thought out as this
*I noticed our online presence was lacking and offered to help. Things kind of snowballed from there.
**I may or may not have given myself a fancy title, fancy titles are the best.
Okay. Hmm. I’m not quite sure where to start. This has not traditionally been our problem. We’re good at starts – it’s the finishing that has been eluding us.
So I’ll start with that, and try and keep this brief. Following our latest Flatland “refocus” (as described in the previous blog post) we found ourselves in a difficult position. We knew that the changes we were making were necessary, but it also became apparent that they were killing team morale. No-one felt good about scrapping work they’d been doing for the last however-many weeks, and energy levels quickly sank through the floor.
There were any number of things we could have tried to combat this, so the first thing we did was get together for a brainstorming session, where we came up with a hundred ideas for things we could do to improve everyone’s experience at the company. These ranged from abstract morale-boosters like “go on a helicopter ride” or “get an office plant”, to more practical measures like which projects we actually wanted to pursue. (more…)
One of the things we’ve been looking at recently is our project methodology, and we’ve decided to create our own (for a number of reasons, detailed below). The method we’ve come up with is called SCIENCE!, and below is the methodology as it currently stands.
As we continue development of Particulars, we’ll be posting experiments that we’re running (usually after completion) and updating you on the details of the SCIENCE! Method.